Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Song of the day: "There Is A Price To Pay For Freedom (And It Isn't Security)" by Laetitia Sadier

Despite my obsession with politics, I'm generally allergic to explicit political messages in songs. Protest songs frequently cause my ears to protest, because that's not why I listen to music. So, I was a bit nervous when I heard that Stereolab's Laetitia Sadier had produced a protest album, and was even more concerned when I read some of the lyrics: "The ruling class / neglects again responsibility / over-indulged children / drawn to cruel games / pointless pleasures / impulsive reflexes / a group of assassins." That's pretty heavy for pop music and not at all subtle. However, when I heard the music, I left the fretfulness behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive