Friday, September 30, 2011

Take 5: Five Songs About the Slammer

I've been watching "Breaking Bad" of late. The DEA is on our hero's tail and it's only a matter of time before Walt ends up in the big house. With that in mind, here are five great songs about clink.

[Lists like this--and there are a lot of them online--almost invariably include Johnny Cash's "Folsom Prison Blues." Far be it from me to diss the Man in Black, but I picked 5 different songs.]

54-46 Was My Number by Toots & the Maytals
An autobiographical song about the consequences of Toots' tokes.



Neko Case: Prison Girls
I love your long shadows and your gunpower eyes.



Sam Cooke: Chain Gang
Never before has hard labor sounded so good.



Dum Dum Girls: Jail La La
When it's time for Dee Dee's phone call, she finds she can't remember anyone's number.



Zombies: Care of Cell 44
"Good morning to you. I hope you're feeling better baby," sings Colin Blunstone, and at first you think you're listening to your typical love song--albeit one with fantastic Beach Boys harmonies. Then comes the kicker: "We'll get to know each other for a second time. And then you can tell me 'bout your prison stay."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive